1 Spanish onion, roughly chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
16 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Inspiced Paella-licious
1 tomato, grated (skin discarded)
1 cup bomba rice
1 cup frozen peas
3 cups seafood or fish stock
6 mussels, tightly closed, scrubbed and beards removed
6 prawns or large shrimp, shell on
parsley, roughly chopped
- Dice bell peppers and onions, finely chop the garlic and then set aside. Grate tomato on a box grater and set aside.
- Place seafood stock in a saucepan and simmer to keep warm.
- Heat paella pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Brown the chicken for three minutes and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic and cook until slightly brown. Add the peppers and cook for about 5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally and adding more oil if necessary.
- Add the rice, grated tomato, peas, and Inspiced Paella-licious to the mixture and stir until all the grains of rice are well coated and glossy.
- Add the hot stock to the pan and use a spoon to spread the rice mixture evenly.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan, stir, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Lay the mussels on the rice. Cover with a lid or foil and steam for 4-5 minutes until mussels have opened (discard any that have not)
- Place the shrimp on top of the rice, cover, and steam an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand to ensure that most of the liquid has absorbed and a crust has formed on the bottom.
- Serve paella straight from the pan with fresh lemon and parsley.
- Pat the salmon fillets dry using a clean paper towel. Lay the fillet skin side down on a piece of parchment and transfer it to a baking sheet lined with foil.
Note: Paella is a versatile dish that you can change to suit your liking. Try substituting the meat and seafood combinations with artichokes, green beans, pancetta, chorizo, rabbit, duck, or calamari rings.